Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Amy Winehouse: my new crush

So after stumbling across her clip for Rehab on cable, checking out her myspace and hearing disapproving media reports of various drunkenness and drug-related bad behaviour (don't forget seeing her turn up at the Brit Awards looking like Barbarella meets Cher meets Morticia Adams meets a pony meets some stewardess-turned-hooker-turned-pirate), I thought: "This is a girl I'd like to know. I can really relate to her".
Not really, although it would be really nice to be so hard-core and just not give a fig what anyone else thinks of you. I like that. I also like that she said that Dido was "background music... the background to death". Because I was totally thinking that, and just thought no one else agreed with me.
Plus her music is wicked. What a creepy voice she's got: although nowhere near as creepy or annoying as Missy Higgins' , Dido's or whatshername, stud through her nose, lame country crossover, Casey Chambers'.
And I never ever buy current music: my collection is a weird conglomeration of Motown, Michael Jackson, world folk music, a lot of French stuff, a big pile of Brian Wilson, gospel, Nashville and a selection from Doris Day, Regurgitator, Josephine Baker, Cab Calloway and the like. (Looking at it, it does look pretty weird).
But I go against tradition for her. I've ordered it online.
Now to wait patiently by the mailbox.

No comments: