Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Horror snacks

For my C-grade horror movie night, I need to provide snacks for my pumpkin carvers. I am thinking something quick, substantial, but not a giant super-meal, portable, snackable and tasty. The pita chips, blessed though they are, do take a good hour or two to make from start to finish. With that in mind, and with the contents of my pantry also in mind, I am considering the following:

Poppadoms
Marinated chicken legs
Fragrant rice pilaf
Cucumber and yoghurt salad
Possibly a quick chicken curry out of a jar, instead of the legs...but the legs would be more portable. Hmm.

So a vaguely Indian theme: tasty and with vegetarian options.

With the scooped-out pumpkin mush, I will make a pumpkin pie, I believe. I found an interweb recipe flavoured with cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Appropriate.

***update***


Success. The terrible terrible oven stuffed up my chicken legs (as expected), but they were salvageable. I coated them with a yoghurt tikka paste and roasted them. Also made the pilaf, poppadoms, cucumber salad with yoghurt on the side. I just set up a buffet on the table and let people drift past and graze at will. Nice and informal.

The pie will happen next weekend. Will have to think about how I'm going to make the shortcrust base: it might be fun to make it out of crushed biscuits. Gingersnaps? Shortbread? A combination?

No comments: