Wednesday, November 15, 2006

White peonies

These were bought at Hacienda on Racecourse Rd at Ascot. Aren't they stunning? So creamy, so delicate, perfectly spherical and slightly waxen, with a full and heavenly rose fragrance. The interior petals are sharply edged with the most gentle pale green. They are only in flower for a few short weeks around this time. Queensland imports them from Melbourne or Tasmania, always in the most perfect condition. You'd think they'd been gathered that morning from your own vintage rose garden.

I bought them as a gift, but taking them home in the car, as they filled the car with their beautiful scent, I was filled with self-resentment and crankiness that a) no one ever buys beautiful flowers for me, and b) I never buy flowers for myself. I always tell myself that it's a pointless indulgence, as I'm standing there in front of the florist window, or even at the supermarket checkout staring at the wall of gerberas in buckets. At Hacienda, as the lovely man was wrapping them up for me in two-tone pink tissue, we talked about making the effort and time to buy flowers, and to care for them properly, and the joy they bring to the entire house.
Whenever I have lovely flowers on the table, I always feel calmed and relaxed. Might pop down to Rocklea on Saturday and indulge myself...






No comments: