Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Cheese overload

How much cheese can one person REALLY eat?
I had a carols party on the weekend...it went well. Nibbles only, so I picked up some nice loaves of bread, olives, ham off the bone, a few different cheeses, dips, gherkins, crackers and so on. Set them out on a few platters...very easy. I'm very happy that I didn't decide to cook anything: it made the night SO SO much easier and meant that I enjoyed myself much more. In fact, at about 3pm on the day, I found myself on the couch with a glass of juice, actually relaxing. I kep asking myself how it was that I could be sitting down when I was entertaining that very night- wasn't there more work to do? Normally I would be in the kitchen at about that time, not lazing about, thinking of popping into a bath or reading the paper. But no. I had already cleaned the bathroom, picked up the ice, tidied the house, done various dusting and rearranging and been to the shops for the snacks.
Amazing. It was heaven.
Anyway everyone ate everything (excellent), but I had (as usual) gone overboard on the cheese purchases. It was because there were a few reduced ones at the supermarket. So at the end of the night I still had two bries, half a cheddar, a creamy garlic and herb and a bit of goat.
Then a friend turned up with a present for me. "I've brought you some cheese", he said. Peering into the bag, I gasped. "Some?!? You've brought me enough cheese for an army!"
Very generous it was.
I put it into the fridge, where I took stock:

  • Two bries
  • Half a cheddar
  • One creamy garlic and herb
  • One goat
  • One giant blue
  • One camembert
  • Another brie
  • A jar of marinated fetta
  • A havarti

Thankfully I managed to give some away before people went home, and we ate the giant blue that night. But my fridge is still full of cheese, and I am beginning to tire of cheese on toast. I never though I would turn away cheese, but here we are. I wonder if there is any charitable organisation that you can give unwanted food to?

No comments: