Saturday, March 10, 2007

Authentic French fondue


Straight from Jonchery-sur-Vesle, a sweet little village nestled in the hills of the Champagne region, about 40 minutes from Reims.


I don't know if this is what the recipe books here say, or whether the French version is unique or not. I only know that I am thinking about fondue, and therefore I needed the perfect recipe. Luckily for me, I happen to have tasted the world's most perfectly delicious fondue, visiting the above. The recipe has just arrived...


World's Most Perfect and Authentic Cheese Fondue



  • Stale brown unsliced bread (rye is good, or pain de campagne, or any of your rustic brown types)

  • Half emmenthal and half comte, or gruyere is probably easier to get around here

  • Garlic clove

  • A glass of dry white wine

  • Friends

Cut your bread into cubes, or just rip it into hunks.
You rub your fondue pan with garlic, then have the cheese melt with the wine. Keep stirring forever and don't let it boil. Use the fondue sticks to spear your bread and mash around in the cheesy insanity. If you lose your bread in the pot, it's fair game for anyone else.

3 comments:

Truffle said...

you're giving me a fondue craving at 11am on a Sunday morning! :)

Pinky said...

Mmm. fondue craving!!
Like your blog, by the way...

:)

Anonymous said...

Lovely.
Beaufort is also classically used in the traditional Alpine fondues. Its available in Brisbane at times, black pearl epicerie is where I purchased it last. It's amazing floral attributes lift a fondue to ultimate heights.
Your blog is making me hungry!