Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Avril: no more sk8ter boi

Avril Lavigne and her current No.1 Girlfriend are totally annoying me. First of all, since when has she become girly? The long, cheerleader blonde straight hair? The non-threatening-and-totally-mainstream pink skull motif? The unoriginal schtick about being so awesomely different and yet just like everyone else? All I can think is that someone over at her camp decided that faux-skater-grunge was no longer going to make money and that we are now all going for out-there princess. Incidentally, note the lyrics:

Hey! Hey! You! You!I don’t like your girlfriend!
No way! No way!I think you need a new one
Hey! Hey! You! You!I could be your girlfriend

Hey! Hey! You! You! I know that you like me
No way! No way! No it’s not a secret
Hey! Hey! You! You! I want to be your girlfriend

You’re so fine
I want you mine
You’re so delicious
I think about ya all the time
You’re so addictive
Don’t you know what I could do to make you feel alright?

Don’t pretend I think you know I’m damn precious
And hell yeah I’m the motherfucking princess
I can tell you like me too and you know I’m right

She’s like so whatever
You could do so much better
I think we should get together now
And that’s what everyone’s talking about!

I can see the way, I see the way you look at me
And even when you look away I know you think of me
I know you talk about me all the time again and again
So come over here, tell me what I want to hear
Better yet make your girlfriend disappear
I don’t want to hear you say her name ever again

In a second you’ll be wrapped around my finger
Cause I can, cause I can do it better
There’s no other
So when's it gonna sink in?
She’s so stupid, what the hell were you thinking?!

Some creepy statements in there, all right. Nice role model behaviour, Avril. Surely her skater audience haven't all grown up and gone pink...? I wonder what they think of this new shiny bitchy persona.

No comments: