Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Pretty birthday cupcakes

The plan is for a surprise tray of cupcakes to be delivered to a certain person's workplace on their birthday. I have decided to go against tradition and the will of the universe, and forego the chocolate icing.
Yes, and I've already been admonished for this. But here's the case for the defence:

  1. Chocolate icing is everywhere. Everyone ices everything with chocolate, all the time.
  2. Chocolate icing is so 1990s.
  3. Most chocolate icing is crap: it's just cocoa, butter and sugar. If you're going to do it then you should use proper quality melted chocolate to make a ganache-type icing that actually tastes good. And I can't be bothered doing that.
  4. Chocolate icing overpowers the delicate vanilla flavour of a plain cupcake.
  5. I'm interested in the New and Different (for me, anyway).

So I'm thinking that I'll ice the lot in varying shades of pretty pastels, and use my super collection of colours, flavours and decorations to make them look all gorgeous. I'm going to make half buttercream frosting and half cream cheese frosting (or possibly all buttercream- we'll see.)

Some possibilities so far:

  • Pink, with rosewater flavour, and a glace cherry on top
  • Lavender, with jasmine flavour, and purple hearts on top
  • Pale yellow, with lemon juice, and grated lemon zest
  • Pale green, with lime juice, and grated lime zest
  • Pale green, with pandan essence
  • Pale blue, plain flavour, with blueberries on top or silver cachous
  • Pale orange, with orange juice and grated orange zest and ginger on top
  • Beige with coffee flavour and a coffee bean on top or chocolate sprinkles
  • White, plain flavour with silver cachous

That's probably far too much work for one morning, but I will get started early and see what I can do!

***update***

Cakes have been made and delivered, according to the cakeal schedule. I made about 400 kilos of plain buttercream frosting, which I then divided between six bowls. I tinted the bowls pink, blue, green, yellow, peach and violet, and flavoured them with (in order) rosewater, lime juice, pandan essence, lemon juice, orange juice and jasmine essence. I forewent the different sprinkle types and just put a couple of silver cachous and some multicoloured sugar hearts on each one. Gave them some unity: I liked it. Then they went into a giant cardboard tray, arranged in stripes of colour. There were probably about forty or fifty in the tray. Very unfortunately, the camera has blown up, so I couldn't get a photo... sob. But really, it was mega-impressive. Infinite receding lines of rainbow cupcakes, as far as the eye could see... sparkling in the distance...

No comments: