Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Gnocchi

Had a go at making gnocchi the other night. The Silver Spoon had quite a few recipes for gnocchi, but none that were egg-free. There were recipes containing eggs, polenta, Parmesan and so on, but no plain potato-and-flour gnocchi, which I'd heard was the best, as it was the lightest on the stomach. I found a simple recipe on the ABC website which I thought would be good for a first attempt.
It was... OK. Not great. The gnocchi were quite soft and mooshy, even though they were only in the boiling water for a couple of minutes. And they were really soft when I was forming them, too. Too soft. Wouldn't hold much of a shape. I think they would be better if firmer. Apparently I should have put them in the fridge to firm up after shaping them, then cooked them later.
They were also fairly flavourless, on their own. Maybe next time, if I have another go, I'll make one of the other gnocchi recipes that actually contain flavoursome ingredients... and I'll pop them in the fridge as well.

No comments: