Monday, August 14, 2006

Feast on Fruit at Morningside

Went down there on Thursday night on my way home, thinking I'd pick up something tasty for dinner. Ended up bringing home a truckload of fabulous goodies, and most of them were from the deli out the back. What did I find?

  • 500g juicy gorgeous green beans
  • big bag fresh parsley
  • slab of pancetta
  • handful of olives marinated in feta and dried tomatoes
  • 2 perfect beurre bosc pears
  • 2 jars of Bonne Maman chestnut puree
  • Spigadoro dried tagliatelle (We had it that night, and this was to die for)
  • 250g slab block of Lindt dark chocolate
  • Jarlsberg
  • Gouda with caraway seeds

I've been back already since then, mainly for the Gouda. One of the Bonne Mamans is pretty much gone, too...

* I heartily recommend the lemon and garlic olives, or the olives stuffed with almonds. Pictured here is a container with half lemon and garlic, half brie and sweet chili. I have to say that the brie ones are not so good. The sweet chili flavouring tastes cheap and overdone, like flavour from a corn chip. Ew. But the lemon and garlic are just fabulous.

Also: slab of Frico hard goat, and my new favourite pasta, Garofalo from Italy. I think the packaging on the pasta is beautiful: none of that solid block colour you see on the supermarket packets. "Come, come, I'm colourful, I'm great, you'll like me! ME ME ME ME!!" This one is so clear and simple and clean-looking.

The pasta itself is also very lovely: firm and well-flavoured, not too floury or too goopy. Great texture and aroma.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The meats are actually from a German wholesaler and are based on European recipes