Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Zucchini and lemon pasta


I usually make this when I've bought a bag of zucchinis when they're cheap, but then i ignore them and they languish unloved in the crisper. Out of remorse, I decide to go with the zucchini pasta ("Better use these little buggers up, they're on the turn".) It's good, because you can get rid of much more zucchini with this than with a normal vegetable side dish and so on.

This is a version of a Marie Claire recipe.

Ingredients:

  • Zucchinis (about 4 to 6)
  • Lemon
  • Olive oil
  • Spaghettini or other thin long pasta (shapes or thick types will wreck it)
  • Bit of crushed garlic if you feel like it
  • Capers or green olives
  • Salt and pepper
  • Pecorino or Parmesan

Grate up the zucchinis. Throw the grated pile into a big frying pan with the garlic and the olive oil. Fry away on medium heat until most of the moisture has dried up, then continue until done to your liking. I like them a little bit brown on the edges.

Grate or finely slice some lemon zest. Juice the lemon.

Meanwhile, cook pasta and drain. Insert cooked pasta into frypan with zucchini. Turn off heat. Add zest, juice, seasoning and capers. Maybe a bit more olive oil if it looks dryish. Whack it into your serving bowls and sprinkle with the cheese. Also, sometimes I add a bit of chili.

I am making this tonight...storm raging outside, me, couchbound, hot tangy pasta fogging up my eyeballs.... mmm, can't wait!

2 comments:

la femme said...

Haha, I just made zucchini curry as had similar bag of zucchini languishing in crisper...

Anonymous said...

this sounds pretty good.