Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Salmon Dinner For One


Most of the fresh salmon that we buy in Brisbane is imported from Tasmania, where they grow the Atlantic salmon in a similar environment. The fish actually called "Australian salmon" is a greasy, rough, feral chunkfish that no one wants to eat. Sometimes you see revolting limp pre-frozen pieces of salmon in the supermarket that have been imported from some distant imaginary land and reconstituted for sale. This is very bad.
I hear that the Rocklea Markets provide fresh fish that was flapping around in the boat a few hours before, so I will be making a pilgrimage over there at some point. Although, once I've had the best, I'll probably never buy fish from the supermarket again.

I love fresh salmon, to the point that I really don't like eating any other types of fish. My mother taught me to fry it on a high heat, skin-side down for the first minute or so, before lowering the heat and turning it to do the other side. This gives it a fantastic crispy skin and a tender pink undercarriage.

Tonight, home alone, I made a Salmon Dinner for One.

  • 1 piece raw fresh salmon
  • 1 or 2 potatoes
  • Green beans
  • Rosemary
  • Lemon
  • Salt
  • Butter or olive oil

Steam the potatoes and cut them into quarters. Throw the hot potatoes into a plastic storage container with salt, oil or butter and lots of chopped rosemary. Hold the lid on TIGHT (no, I mean really tight) and carefully shake the hell out of the container. The potatoes will get smashed blurry edges and become infused with flavour.

Boil a giant pot of water, then throw in the beans. Let the water come back to the boil, then drain them. Return them to the empty pot with some chopped-up lemon flesh (no seeds or skin) and cook gently for a minute or so.

Meanwhile, fry salmon in a little oil or butter to your liking.

Sit the salmon on the potatoes and arrange beans to the side.

No comments: