Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Seafood cooking class

Last night I went to a hands-on seafood cooking class, at Executive Chef in South Brisbane. I had a great time, and I learnt some stuff I didn't know before. Here's what we made:

Fish terrine with tahini dressing and herb salad









Salt-and-pepper squid









Tom Rim (Thai caramelised prawns)









Scallops in lemon oil with saffron angel-hair pasta








The yummmmiest was probably either the squid or the terrine. I think I'll have a go at making the terrines at home at some point.
I was so proud of my squidly prowess: previous attempts have been rubbery and ultra-yuck, but these squids were awesome. Pro quality. The teacher taught me how to pull apart and de-skin whole squids. I enjoyed it. Their little speckly bodies always feel so good.
Not a fan of the scallop. The roe... is slightly disturbing. I always feel as if I shouldn't be eating it.
Overall, a great night, lots of fun and learning, and I got to stuff myself on delicious fresh seafood!

No comments: