Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tunisian egg briks

This cold weather is causing me to relive some interesting and sometimes disturbing moments from my time living in France. The snow outside = weird culinary concoctions that I'd never seen before. This morning I opened the freezer, trying to find something defrostable for dinner, when my eyes lit upon a packet of frozen flat Lebanese bread. One synapse fired and triggered another and the next thing I knew I was remembering those egg briks that we used to eat on cold snowy days in Nimes. Must be the flatness of the bread and the flat filo pastry... who knows.

Anyway, Nimes, by virtue of its relative closeness to Northern Africa, enjoys the culinary delights of a significant Moroccan / Algerian / Tunisian immigrant population. On this particular day, the filo pastry was defrosted, cut into rectangles, a raw egg plopped into the middle of each rectangle, the other side folded up to make a square, and the whole thing plunged into the deep-fryer.
Since then I have learned that the Tunisian brik has hundreds of varieties and possible fillings, and what I tasted then was the humble brik a l'oeuf, or plain egg brik. Some info here.
And I have to say that it wasn't all that tasty.
The egg white was slightly undercooked, and the whole thing was unseasoned so it tasted like Oil Central. I hear that you can fill them with tinned tuna, seafood, mince and so on. Probably would be an improvement.
Perhaps I will try to make these for myself one day... and add to the memory of that first brik, on a snowy Nimes day, the hot egg yolk dripping onto the greasy crisp pastry, the amazement of trying something for the first time.

No comments: