Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Turkey with maple syrup glaze

Nigella's Feast has given me many an idea for this year's Christmas. As a New Year's / Midweek Between Christmas and New Year's When All the Ham is Gone And I Still Need Some Kind of Cold Meat in the Fridge stopgap solution, I am roasting her maple syrup turkey.
Differences: I am doing just the turkey buffe as opposed to the whole circus, and mine was "marinated" in the Ingham's bag from whence it came, althoughI am yet to discover exactly what that means and whether they just sluiced some water in there or whether it is a proper and respectable marinade. I suspect the former.
Anyway, right now it is brining itself in the fridge, bathing in a mixture of water, sugar, salt, orange juice, aniseed extract ( I ran out of star anise), cloves, cinnamon, maple syrup, ginger and parsley stalks. In a couple of days I am going to roast it up real good.

**update**

So it sat in the fridge brining itself for two days. On the afternoon of the third day I took it out of its pot and let it come a bit closer to room temperature on the bench. I sat it in a baking dish lined with baking paper, and poured about a cup of the brine over the turkey. I then melted some unsalted butter and maple syrup together in the microwave and painted the bird with a bit of this mixture. It went into a preheated low oven (about 190 C), lying on its side, for about three hours or maybe a bit more. I turned it over halfway through, and poured more glaze over it as we went.
The verdict? Fantastic. Nigella was right: it is IMPOSSIBLE to dry this bastard out. You could roast it for months and it would still stay moist and juicy. The normally-stringy flesh was somehow SMOOTH and velvety, as if the brine had done something to its molecular structure, like Peter Parker becoming Spiderman. Or even Bruce Banner, maybe.
This turkey is truly the supremo ultimate turkey of the universe. All other turkeys should just give up right now.
I rested it on the bench for 20 minutes, and then carved her up. We served it with mashed potato, peas and gravy made from the sweet mapley turkey pan juices, a splash of verjuice, and a spoonful of cornflour over low heat for a while. The sweet spicy maple gravy was definitely something new: I don't think it would work for other meats but for this, it was sublime and delicious.
The leftovers became turkey and mango salad, turkey omelette, refried turkey hash and turkey sandwich.

After all that, I don't want to see another turkey for at LEAST eleven months.

No comments: