Saturday, April 12, 2008

Vintage wooden button neckpiece

In homage to, and in awe of, Sophie Kyron, I made myself this huge neckpiece out of old wooden and plastic buttons. There are a few fabric buttons in there, as well as some metal ones and two old belt buckles. It's made in sections, then wired together to shape the neckpiece, then finally strengthened with strips of glued fabric on the back.


Surprisingly, it's not that heavy: just big and showy.





The buttons are all out of an old rusted tin that belonged to my grandfather. Once cleaned, they look really interesting and unusual. I've already had two compliments from random strangers on the night I wore it out to Piaf.


Am looking forward to wearing it layered under winter vests and coats, once the weather turns.

No comments: