- half cup basil
- sea salt and fresh-cracked black pepper
- half cup mayonnaise
- 120g pork mince
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 25g parmesan, grated
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 4 sprigs oregano, leaves chopped
- 24 large green olives, pitted
- half cup plain flour
- 2 beaten egg yolks
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil for deep-frying
- lemon wedges to serve (optional)
Pound basil and a pinch of salt to a smooth paste in mortar and pestle. Stir through mayo and keep in fridge till required.
Combine pork, oregano, garlic, parmesan and spices. Season lightly. Stuff olives with mixture (stuffing should be almost popping out). Roll olives in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Shake off excess. Heat oil in saucepan to 190C. Fry olives in batches for about 3 mins or until golden. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper. Serve with basil mayo and lemon on the side.