From Valli Little.
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
- 1 and two-thirds cup (250g) self-raising flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- quarter tsp baking powder
- 200g caster sugar
- three-quarters cup (225g) whole-egg mayonnaise (buy the good stuff)
- 3 tsps vanilla extract
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g cream cheese
- 1 and two-thirds (250g) icing sugar, sifted
- 30 mls Kahlua or other coffee liqueur
- Hazelnuts, half-dipped in melted chocolate to decorate
Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line base of a 23cm springform cake tin.
Place the flour, cocoa, baking powder, caster sugar, mayo and 2 tsps of the vanilla in electric mixer with 200ml warm water. Beat till smooth. Pour into pan, bake 40 mins or until skewer comes out clean. Cool completely, then spread with icing and sprinkle nuts over.
Icing: Process butter, cream cheese, icing sugar, 1 tsp of vanilla and Kahlua till smooth.