Sunday, October 05, 2008

Chili

Fresh chili is great. Sliced, seeded, smooshed into a paste with garlic and salt: mmm.

I also love other chili products: concoctions designed to enspicen your life with as little effort as possible. Most of the really hot ones are from Asia, Africa and South America: no surprise that these places are really hot and the chili helps to cool the body down.

In my pantry cupboard right now, I've got harissa, plus these five little wonders.
  • Garlic pepper Tabasco (I've also got the original Tabasco and the celebrated Green)


  • Shichimi Togarashi red pepper mix


  • La-Yu chili oil


  • Nando's hot peri-peri sauce


  • Pandaroo Yum Cha chili sauce
I highly recommend the red pepper mix: little flakes of crushed spiced chili that you sprinkle on your Chinatown noodle soup.
It, and the Tabasco, are what I use the most.
The Yum Cha sauce mixed with light soy makes a fantastic dumpling dipping sauce.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a chilli fiend and my friends once gave me a bday present of a "chilli basket" with about 12 kinds of sauces. I wish I had a photo but alas it's lost in the mists of time.

By crushed spiced Chinatown chilli did you mean the fried kind that you add to the laksa or the short slices of fresh chilli swimming in soy sauce?

Pinky said...

Oooh, chili. I meant the one in the picture, the crushed chili in the red shaker that you sprinkle on. ALTHOUGH, the fresh chili floating in soy.... certainly goes down a treat with yum cha. Mmm.

Pinky said...

Oooh, chili. I meant the one in the picture, the crushed chili in the red shaker that you sprinkle on. ALTHOUGH, the fresh chili floating in soy.... certainly goes down a treat with yum cha. Mmm.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try it next time, I've always assumed it wasn't as good as the fresh chilli